Dave Holton has always been a problematic creature to categorize. Growing up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Dave spent his early years traveling to math competitions & astronomy camps, while also writing & directing backyard theatrical productions starring the neighborhood kids—with real pyrotechnics & everything! Later, as an undergrad pursuing a Bachelor’s of Science in Civil Engineering, Dave hiked his way across campus to the English Department & enrolled himself in fiction, poetry, & drama writing courses—courses that counted not a whit toward his degree.
In 2014, after nearly a decade of waking up at 4 a.m. to write stories before heading to day jobs as a field engineer or management consultant, Dave decided to flip the script—he put his problem-solving, project management skills to work supporting his creative side, instead of the other way around. Now, as a freelance writer & creative producer, Dave has collaborated with an eclectic array of creators, writers, directors, actors, crews, & social media influencers to develop, produce, & deliver projects ranging from digital shorts to feature films to virtual reality.
Dave has often served dual roles on projects—first working as a creative producer to help shepherd the project from idea to execution, & then shifting into various production roles to assist in the day-to-day work on set. After production has wrapped, Dave often puts his marketing education to work, seeking out innovative channels to engage with audiences & build connections with true fans that both love the work & spread the word.
But who needs categorization, right? How about we just let the work tell the story…
- Wrote feature screenplay that finished top 10% in PAGE Awards & top 15% in Scriptapalooza (two highly-regarded, international competitions).
- Wrote multi-page feature articles & humorous poetry for “Milepost Magazine” 2017 & 2018 quarterly print editions, & feature-length advertorials & half-page ads for “Outer Banks This Week” 2017 & 2018 quarterly print & ongoing digital editions.
- Read & wrote coverage on hundreds of feature film screenplays for Amazon Studios as an ongoing contractor for nearly two years, appraising story & execution for development & production potential.
- Judged several hundred film & television entries for The Tracking Board & Fresh Voices screenwriting & TV writing contests.
- Produced & Assistant Directed 25-minute mockumentary “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling” that now has over 3 million views on YouTube.
- Produced season one of web series “Friendless Five,” distributed in 2016 by Fullscreen & DirecTV.
- Produced short film “Broken Wings” available on Amazon Video.
- Produced innovative short film “Vain” for 360 Virtual Reality platforms, which exhibited at film festivals worldwide.
- Project Coordinated full-length feature film “Doomsday Device.”
- Assistant Directed all background actors on the music video “One Last Time” for Ariana Grande.
- Earned a Certificate in Producing for Film, Television, & New Media from UCLA’s Extension School, graduating “With Distinction.”
- Two years in Management Consulting on projects in marketing, sales, logistics, & business strategy with Deutsche Post, DHL, Lenovo Computers, & Procter & Gamble in the US, Germany, the Netherlands, & Mexico. Assisted directly in both Hiring & Sales for satellite office.
- Earned a Master’s Degree in Business from University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School, graduating as a “Dean’s Scholar” in the top 5% of his class. Focused studies on Marketing & Entrepreneurship.
- Four years in Infrastructure Project Management – bridges in Pensacola, FL & in Rehoboth Beach, DE, & several other multi-million dollar projects. Earned Professional Engineering Licence in North Carolina.
- Earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from North Carolina State University, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
Y una cosa más … ¡Dave habla español, si eso ayuda de alguna manera!
Learn More & Connect
Please contact Dave to discuss collaboration or employment—he is always seeking another opportunity to put his unique blend of education & experience to work & to defy categorization. Check out Dave’s IMDB page for more on his filmmaking experience & connect with Dave via LinkedIn.