Growing up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Dave Holton built forts, conquered sandbars, and reenacted old tales of ghost pirates, lost colonists, and ancient voyagers—intrepid men and women who ventured o’er oceans into unknown worlds. He especially loved stories that mingled fantasy with reality—on the Outer Banks, every salty fisherman’s tale has a good bit of stretch to it. After all, Blackbeard’s headless body swam ’round his ship three…no, four… no, seven times before sinking into the depths. That’s just how it happened. Ask anybody.
Dave’s fascination with such yarns made him yearn to spin a few himself, and that yearning followed him right into adulthood. Though he pursued an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, Dave also hiked across campus for Creative Writing classes. Over the next decade, Dave kept writing stories on the side as he worked on big construction projects as a field engineer, earned a Master’s in Business, and business consulted for Fortune 500 CEOs. And eventually, he shifted into the film industry, where he could put both his analytical mind and creative urges to work as one.
As a creative producer, Dave Holton has partnered with an eclectic array of creators and influencers on feature films, web content, short films, music videos, and virtual reality. Dave often fills multiple roles on projects: first shepherding ideas to execution as a creative producer, and then helping to deliver a finished film as an assistant director or project coordinator. To enjoy a few of his shorter works, please check out “Dave Makes Films.”
As a multimedia writer, Dave has crafted feature articles, advertorials, and ads, and analyzed screenplays for studios, producers, and writers. He enjoys writing poetry, fiction, and drama. To view a portfolio of some of his journalistic and advertising-related work, please check out “Dave Writes Articles & Ads,” and if you would like to read some of his poetry, check out “Dave Writes Poems.”
Scroll on for a few more highlights from Dave’s background, and if you’d like to discuss a project, position, or possible opportunity, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Dave.
- Wrote feature screenplay that finished top 10% in PAGE Awards & top 15% in Scriptapalooza (two highly-regarded, international competitions).
- Wrote multi-page feature articles & humorous poetry for “Milepost Magazine” 2017, 2018, & 2019 quarterly print editions, & feature-length advertorials & half-page ads for “Outer Banks This Week” 2017 & 2018 quarterly print & ongoing digital editions.
- Read & wrote coverage on hundreds of feature film screenplays for Amazon Studios as an ongoing contractor for nearly two years, appraising story & execution for development & production potential.
- Judged several hundred film & television entries for The Tracking Board & Fresh Voices screenwriting & TV writing contests.
- Produced & Assistant Directed 25-minute mockumentary “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling,” now with 3.5 million views on YouTube.
- Produced season one of web series “Friendless Five,” distributed in 2016 by Fullscreen & DirecTV.
- Produced short film “Broken Wings,” available on Amazon Video.
- Produced innovative short film “Vain” for 360 Virtual Reality platforms & exhibited at film festivals worldwide.
- Project Coordinated full-length feature film “Doomsday Device.”
- Assistant Directed background actors on the music video “One Last Time” for Ariana Grande.
- Earned Certificate in Producing for Film, Television, & New Media from UCLA’s Extension School, graduating “With Distinction.”
- Two years in Management Consulting on projects in marketing, sales, logistics, & business strategy with Deutsche Post, DHL, Lenovo Computers, & Procter & Gamble in the US, Germany, the Netherlands, & Mexico. Assisted directly in both Hiring & Sales.
- Earned a Master’s Degree in Business from University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School, graduating as a “Dean’s Scholar” in the top 5% of his class. Focused studies on Marketing & Entrepreneurship.
- Four years in Infrastructure Project Management – bridges in Pensacola, FL & in Rehoboth Beach, DE, & several other multi-million dollar projects. Earned Professional Engineering Licence in North Carolina.
- Earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from North Carolina State University, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
Y una cosa más … ¡Dave habla español, si eso ayuda de alguna manera!
Learn More & Connect
Please contact Dave to discuss collaboration or employment—he is always seeking an opportunity to put his unique blend of education and experience to work.