(The One Where I Write in Third Person)
David B. Holton (Dave) is a writer & visual storyteller with an eclectic skill set that includes project management & business strategy. Dave has written scripts for screen & stage, penned articles for magazines, published fiction in literary journals, performed for live audiences, & produced content that has earned millions of views on streaming platforms. Prior to his career in the entertainment industry, he built bridges as a civil engineer & advised CEOs as a management consultant. Along the way, Dave studied Producing for Film, Television, & New Media at UCLA-Extension; earned an MBA from UNC-Chapel Hill & a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from NC State University; & has been a lifelong student of creative writing via self-study, seminars, & university classes.
These days, Dave follows his creative wanderlust through writing, photography, acting, & filmmaking in a never-ending quest for empathy, truth, meaning, & magic. Recently, he wrote & directed a comedic film that won Best Mockumentary Microfilm at the Austin Comedy Film Festival; published a magical realism story in Oyster River Pages as an Emerging Voice in Fiction; & performed as Captain Arthur Barlowe in the 84th season of The Lost Colony Outdoor Drama in his home state of North Carolina, while also serving as the show’s Assistant Technical Director. In 2022, he consulted as a creative producer for a Raleigh, NC-based YouTube influencer with 8M+ subscribers, developing & producing a series of long-form YouTube videos, short-form social media content, & several brand integrations.
Writing & Visual Storytelling Achievements
• Filmmaker: Wrote, directed, acted in, & edited a zero-budget short film during the pandemic that won “Best Mockumentary Microfilm” at Austin Comedy Film Festival & “Outstanding Achievement” at Berlin Flash Film Festival.
• Theatre Actor: Played the lead role of Sergeant Trotter in Theatre of Dare’s 2022 run of Agatha Christie’s “The Mouse Trap.” Played Captain Arthur Barlowe & several Ensemble Cast roles in The Lost Colony Outdoor Drama 2021 season (70+ shows from May to August).
• Photographer: Specialize in Headshots, Portraits, Personal Branding, Behind-the-Scenes, Special Events, & Documentary. Recently published work in issues of F-stop Magazine.
• Fiction Writer: Published magical realism short story in September 2020 “Oyster River Pages” literary magazine, named “Emerging Voice in Fiction.”
• Screenwriter: Finished top 10% in 5 major screenplay contests. Feature film screenplay currently ranked in top 10% of all Adventure Screenplays on Coverfly.com.
• Journalist & Copywriter: Wrote features for “Milepost Magazine” from 2018-20 & advertorials/advertisements for “Outer Banks This Week” magazine from 2017-18.
Creative Producing & On-Set Production Achievements
• Creative Producer: produced a series of long-form YouTube Videos (~20 min) with additional IG & TikTok content & brand integrations for YT Influencer with >8M subscribers.
• Assistant Technical Director: Worked behind-the-scenes leading teams of technicians building sets & lighting towers for The Lost Colony Outdoor Drama 2021 season (May-Aug).
• Producer & Assistant Director: 25-min Mockumentary “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling” (>4M YT views).
• Production Coordinator: Full-length Feature Film “Pandora’s Box” for CineTel Films, distributed by Lionsgate.
• Producer & Production Manager: Virtual Reality Short Film “Vain,” exhibited at film festivals worldwide.
• Line Producer & 1st Assistant Director: 8-episode Web Series “Friendless Five,” distributed on Fullscreen TV.
• 2nd Assistant Director: Directed background talent for Ariana Grande Music Video, “One Last Time.”
• Producer, Co-Director, & Assistant Director: Multiple Short Films for Funny or Die & YouTube.
• Provided screenplay synopses & recommendations on writers, story premise, & project to Development Executives for Amazon Studios & to Head of Story Department for Resolution Talent Agency.
• Judged feature film & television series screenwriting contests for Fresh Voices & the Tracking Board.